Thursday, February 18, 2010

Hot Dog . . .seriously.

The hot dog is one of the most maligned of all American foods, and probably with good reason. The Jungle, probably scared most of us off at one time from eating doggies. Although a trip to the ball park is hardly the same without one. Call it a guilty pleasure if you will, but I enjoy a good dog from time to time, that was until I started reading the ingredient list on my favorite brand:

INGREDIENTS: Beef, Water, Contains 2% or less of: Salt, Sodium Lactate, Spice, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Paprika, Sodium Diacetate, Garlic Powder, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrite, Flavorings. CONTAINS: Soy

Seriously? Soy? And Hydrolyzed soy protein? Is that necessary? All I want is a good honest hot dog. And I think I have found it. Zenner's of Portland has been making quality sausages for 83 years. When I was looking for a good producer of bangers, I went to Zenners. Having a reputation for quality ingredients and craftsmanship I tried a few of their other products. I was impressed. For those of you that tasted the bratwurst we served last winter and spring you know how good they were. Now we are stocking their hot dogs and knockwurst.

We believe that these are better tasting and better for you than any other doggie out there. We will have these available for eat in or take out for the next few weeks and we'll also have them available to take home by the pound to try out for yourself. The all beef hot dogs are $6 /lb and the knockwurst are $7 /lb. Now that's a good doggie. Cheers.

No comments: