Monday, March 22, 2010

The Things We Do. . .and why. vol 2


When I was a much younger man and just begining to learn about wine I was once told that wine bottles should be stored upside down or on their side (you see where the title SIDEWAYS comes from now?). I was also told that wine should always be kept in a cool dark place or at least away from direct lighting. So, when we decided to build the store I made a point of making sure the lighting for our store would not be directed onto our wines. I also made sure to find racks that kept our wines on their side and NOT standing up. We also made a conscious decision to make sure the store temperature did not fluctuate more than a few degrees, knowing that swings in temperature can really affect wine, in fact it is a constant 70 F year round.

So why do so many other wine shops and stores let their bottles stand often under bright direct light? I cannot honestly answer that question. Maybe they don't know, maybe they don't care. Maybe they think that selling a bottle is more important than building a relationship with their customers. I don't know. What I do know is that if I only sold you one bottle of wine, I would want to make sure that bottle of wine was not compromised by heat, light or oxidation, if there was a way that I could prevent it. I mean, I might only have that one chance to build that relationship with you and a bottle of wine that was bad could keep you from coming back.

We make sure that our bottles are kept under the best possible conditions that we can provide without having you look for wines in the cold dark basement. We also hand select every bottle, so that we know what we are selling to you and you know that you are buying a wine that we believe is both great and a great value. We can even help you find something to go with your wine or a wine to go with your something, we even do special orders.

So come in today and see why Salumiere Cesario is THE best place in Walla Walla to buy wine. Cheers.

No comments: